Employee carpooling options
Looking to save money on your commute to Colorado State University? A carpool consists of two or more employees sharing their personal vehicle to commute to CSU together while splitting the cost of a parking permit. Many employees consider carpooling because they want to:
- Save money on a parking permit
- Save on fuel and maintenance for their personal vehicle
- Want to secure a parking space on campus
Carpools are like a second family. All members hold each other accountable for meeting the carpool and leaving work on time. Carpoolers take turns driving and benefit mentally from not having to drive in traffic everyday. And, carpooling helps relieve congestion and vehicle emissions in our community and on campus.
Try a carpool today! Call Parking and Transportation Services to get started (970) 491-7600.
When can I start carpooling?
A carpool permit can be requested during the first two weeks of each semester (Fall, Spring, and Summer) to ensure the parking supply for carpool spaces is sufficient across the university.
Complete a carpool permit application
- All carpoolers must fill out a carpool agreement and return it to Parking and Transportation Services in the Lake Street Garage.
- The application must have a minimum of two participants for the permit.
- All carpoolers will be billed monthly through payroll deduction based on the number of carpoolers (50 percent of the total billed to each carpooler if there are two, 33 percent for three participants, etc.)
- All vehicles to be driven as part of the carpool should be registered in the Parking and Transportation Services permit database. Your vehicle license plate number serves as your parking permit on campus.
Carpool parking perks
When registering your carpool with Parking and Transportation Services, carpoolers request a parking location on campus. This means that you receive an approved carpool permit with a designated a parking lot and sign. Unlike other permit holders, you have a reserved space if you carpool. Depending on the capacity of the lot, Parking and Transportation Services will make every attempt to place you in the lot requested.
Only one vehicle on a group’s carpool permit can be parked on a campus permit lot at one time. Multiple carpool vehicles under the same permit parked on campus at the same time will initiate a parking citation for misuse of permit per vehicle.
How to find a carpool?
Parking and Transportation Services can help you get started.
Our department will host a carpool formation meeting for you. Call Parking and Transportation Services to request a meeting and we’ll contact employees who live near you about carpooling. Call (970) 491-7600 to get started.
Interested in finding your own carpool mates? These ridesharing websites can help you to find carpoolers near your home with similar commutes to Colorado State University.